The Staff Counselor/ Therapist provides multi-culturally attuned clinical counseling services (i.e., therapy,
assessment, crisis management, consultation, and outreach) to undergraduate and
graduate students at Otis College. The Staff Counselor/Psychologist works
collaboratively with the Counseling Director and Student Health & Wellness
Center staff to facilitate and support overall student wellness and success.
The ideal candidate is passionate about working with a diverse creative student
population and takes a collaborative approach to working with students and
colleagues. This is a 12 month position, some weekend hours may apply. This position reports directly to the Student
Health & Wellness Center Counseling Director.
- Maintains a multicultural perspective and
sensitivity throughout all levels of his/her/their work.
- Provides short-term individual psychotherapy,
crisis intervention, and case management.
- Uses clinical assessments as applicable to
formulate diagnostic impressions and to track students' symptoms and progress
- Works with the Student Health & Wellness
Center team to develop preventative outreach activities, screening programs,
workshops, classes, and other services for students on a variety of health and
wellness topics (i.e., depression, eating disorders, substance abuse, etc.).
- Provides consultation services for parents,
faculty, and staff members regarding student related wellness and mental health issues, as requested.
- Determines, with supervisor, those students
requiring a higher level of care and/or referrals and assists students in connecting with referrals as
- Maintains timely and comprehensive counseling
records in an electronic health record database.
- Responds to acute student mental health crises,
sometimes involving hospitalization of the student.
- May handle after-hours student crisis
telephone calls as back-up to the supervisor in their absence.
- Maintains mandatory licensing requirements on an
- Attends and participates in staff development
programs, department related meetings, and other college assemblies.
- Maintains appropriate
network of professional contacts and currency with professional organizations
- Attends and participates in professional conferences.
- Represents the College and/or department, as
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
be responsive to work-related phone calls and emails during non-business hours on occasion.
ABOUT OTIS COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN
Established in 1918, Otis College of Art and Design is a non-profit 501(c)3 institution and national leader in art and design education. The College mission is to educate a diverse community of students to become highly skilled, well-informed, and responsible professionals--empowering them to shape the world. Alumni and faculty are Fulbright, MacArthur, and Guggenheim grant recipients, Oscar awardees, legendary costume designers, leaders of contemporary art movements, entrepreneurs, and design stars at Apple, Abercrombie & Fitch, Pixar, DreamWorks, Mattel, Nike, and Disney.