Provide professional individual and group counseling services and outreach to NC State students as well as consultation to University administrators, staff and others who have concerns about the mental/emotional status of NC State students. This position will have an emphasis on mental health awareness and interpersonal violence coordination.
Duties and Responsibilities:
One full-time, 12 month position with responsibility to assist in all areas of Counseling Center functioning including:
- Individual and group counseling of NC State students/clients (personal, academic, and vocational assessment and counseling); psychological assessment; developmental and crisis counseling; couples counseling; evaluation of students for withdrawal from the University
- Development and participation in Outreach programming
- Consultation with faculty staff, parents, and others
- Providing evaluations and recommendations regarding students with academic and conduct problems
- Some participation in after hours “on call” and possible evening office hours
- General administrative responsibilities
- Coordination of the center’s digital outreach program
Coordinating Outreach Responsibilities:
- Lead weekly Outreach Committee meeting to develop and monitor on-going outreach projects and campus community requests and initiatives.
- Provide substantial digital and direct outreach service to campus community.
- Collaborate with Associate Director for Outreach and Wellness to field all outreach requests and coordinate the response.
- Assist in supervision of trainees and new staff for outreach including orientation and on-going training for masters level and advanced trainees.
- Co-advise the Mental Health Ambassadors, student mental health peer educators, and coordinate outreach for this group.
- Serve as primary contact with Communications Specialist for the Counseling Center.
- Consult with Assistant Director for Outreach and Wellness as needed and assist in completion of annual outreach report for Counseling Center.
- Assist in the advertising and marketing for Outreach Program in conjunction with the communication specialist.
- This position will involve participation in supervision/training of graduate students and program evaluation.
- Coordinators will be expected to provide supervision to an advanced trainee.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Counseling Center assists NC State students experiencing personal, academic or vocational problems. The goal of the Counseling Center is to provide students with professional counseling services and outreach to help them cope with issues that may impede successful academic performance. The Counseling Center also offers crisis intervention and psychological/psychiatric assessment as well as consultation with others who have concerns about the mental/emotional state of NC State students. Our services are primarily short-term in nature and we make referrals to other helping professionals and community agencies as appropriate.
ABOUT NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY
As a land-grant institution, NC State itself was born as an idea: that higher education should bring economic, societal and intellectual prosperity to the masses. From our origins teaching the agricultural and mechanical arts, we’ve grown to become a pre-eminent research enterprise that advances knowledge in science, technology, engineering, math, design, the humanities and social sciences, textiles and veterinary medicine.
Our students, faculty and staff take problems in hand and work with industry, government and nonprofit partners to solve them. Our 34,000-plus high-performing students apply what they learn in the real world, through research, internships, co-ops and world-changing service. That experiential education ensures they leave here with career-ready skills. And those skills come at a reasonable cost: NC State consistently rates as one of the best values in higher education.
Raleigh, NC is one of the fastest-rising cities in America. Rated the best city for business and careers by Forbes magazine, Raleigh is a top spot for young professionals and families, with a downtown that offers vibrant food and music scenes. The area’s foremost companies — including IBM, Cisco Systems, SAS Institute and Lenovo — are some of the country’s top employers. See http://www.ncsu.edu/human_resources/job_applicants/reasons/community/ for more information.