The Counselor/Therapist will be responsible for providing solution-focused and/or short-term individual psychotherapy for students, supportive counseling, assessments and crisis intervention; also provides consultation to students, faculty, staff and parents; designs and facilitates outreach educational activities.
- Provides short-term psychotherapy and supportive personal counseling to students. Makes referrals to on and off campus professionals and, when necessary, coordinates care with psychiatric providers.
- Consults with students, faculty, staff and families regarding our student’s mental health and well-being.
- Provides triage, crisis consultation and/or intervention by a rotating after-hours on-call responsibility.
- Presents outreach education to students on topics that are relevant to their emotional and social well-being. Coordinates and arranges outreach activities, including promotion of programs offered.
- Conducts training programs for Residence Life (e.g. RAs, RDs) and to staff and faculty, in order to educate the campus on mental health and developmental issues.
- Abides by applicable State and Federal laws, licensure requirements and professional codes of ethics.
- Good empathic, interpersonal communication skills, particularly for diverse community members
- Documents, organizes and manages client records in accordance with professional standards and state and federal laws.
- Serves of Division of Student Affairs and other College committees, as appropriate and approved by the Director of CAPS.
- Facilitates family and student orientation sessions.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree or higher in Social Work or Psychology.
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of clinical experience providing psychotherapy for mental health concerns, including some experience with college-age population.
- Prior experience training and conducting tele mental health services.
- Awareness, insight, and creativity to support needs of a diverse student population. Training and experience in delivering compassionate, thoughtful, and culturally competent interventions.
Licenses / Certifications:
Licensed in NYS as a Social Worker or Psychologist.
Two (2) or more years’ experience as a mental health counselor/therapist in a college counseling center.
- Additional certification as a CASAC is desired, but not required.
- Experience with alcohol and drug issues and interventions with college-age population.
- Strong triage, suicide assessment, and treatment planning skills.
- Knowledge of clinical tracking system, Titanium.
- Knowledge and practice of Federal and State mental health laws and professional codes of conduct.
- Knowledge of APA or NASW multicultural guidelines that govern clinical practice.
- Experience with crisis intervention and the ability to conduct risk assessments and manage potentially high risk clients.
- Ability to use sound judgment and discretion in handling sensitive mental health issues with confidentiality and discretion.
- Must have a proven consistent track record showing the ability to work independently or in a team environment with all levels within an organization.
- Must display a high level of energy and self-motivation.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills required. Must have demonstrated ability in organizational, time management problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer experience, which must include abilities to work effectively with and MS Office suite products, i.e. Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must be available to work nights and weekends as required due to business needs. This position will be required to be on a rotating on-call schedule.
- Able to deliver counseling services and presentations through telemental health platforms. When on campus, in classrooms, residence halls and other campus locations, as needed.
- Regular work requires a great deal of sitting and standing for extended periods.
At The Culinary Institute of America, it is important to us that we support our employees with a substantial and meaningful package of benefits. We believe in supporting our employees with benefits to assist with work life balance.
Benefits are offered based on the position type and status. Benefits offered may include;
- Medical and prescription drug plan
- Dental plan, Vision plan
- Insurance: Life, Home, Auto, even Pet!
- Short- and long-term disability plans
- Generous paid time off programs, including paid holidays
- Retirement savings plan 403(b) with company contribution
- Employee assistance program
- Tuition assistance programs
- And more!