The Counseling Center assists NC State University students experiencing personal, academic or vocational problems. The goal of the Counseling Center is to provide students with professional counseling services and outreach to help them cope with issues that may impede successful academic performance. The Counseling Center also offers crisis intervention and psychological/psychiatric assessment as well as consultation with others who have concerns about the mental/emotional state of NC State students. Our services are primarily short-term in nature and we make referrals to other helping professionals and community agencies as appropriate.
The Counselor will provide professional individual and group counseling services and outreach to NC State students as well as consultation to University administrators, staff and others who have concerns about the mental/emotional status of NC State students.
This is a 12-month position with responsibility to assist in all areas of Counseling Center functioning including:
- Individual and group counseling of NC State students/clients (personal, academic, and vocational assessment and counseling); psychological assessment; developmental and crisis counseling; couples counseling; evaluation of students for withdrawal recommendations for the University
- Development and participation in outreach programming
**consultation with faculty staff, parents, and others
- Providing evaluations and recommendations regarding students with academic and conduct problems
- Participation in after hours “on call” and possible evening office hours
- General administrative responsibilities
- Coordination of the center’s eating disorder treatment, outreach, resources, and referrals.
- Coordinating eating disorder responsibilities:
- Coordinate bi-weekly Eating Disorder Treatment Team (EDTT) with Counseling Center and Student Health team members
- Provide substantial direct services for clients with eating disorder and disordered eating symptoms
- Serve as primary consultant for Counseling Center EDTT guidelines and procedures
- Maintain EDTT Titanium flag list and track existing Counseling Center clients
- Communicate and manage severe and high risk ED clients with SHS Behavioral Health Consultant and medical providers
- Manage and update ED treatment referral information
- Establish, maintain relationships, and serve as liaison to outside ED treatment providers
- Work with campus partners to develop and coordinate ED / Body Image Outreach
- Serve as a member of the leadership team, including a TRAC and Centennial campus rotation
- Offer training for Counseling Center trainees and coordinate with the CE committee to develop CE programming
- This position may involve participation in supervision/training of graduate students and program evaluation.
- Other duties as assigned
ABOUT NC STATE UNIVERSITY COUNSELING CENTER
As a land-grant institution, NC State itself was born as an idea: that higher education should bring economic, societal and intellectual prosperity to the masses. From our origins teaching the agricultural and mechanical arts, we’ve grown to become a pre-eminent research enterprise that advances knowledge in science, technology, engineering, math, design, the humanities and social sciences, textiles and veterinary medicine.
Our students, faculty and staff take problems in hand and work with industry, government and nonprofit partners to solve them. Our 34,000-plus high-performing students apply what they learn in the real world, through research, internships, co-ops and world-changing service. That experiential education ensures they leave here with career-ready skills. And those skills come at a reasonable cost: NC State consistently rates as one of the best values in higher education.
Raleigh, NC is one of the fastest-rising cities in America. Rated the best city for business and careers by Forbes magazine, Raleigh is a top spot for young professionals and families, with a downtown that offers vibrant food and music scenes. The area’s foremost companies — including IBM, Cisco Systems, SAS Institute and Lenovo — are some of the country’s top employers. See http://www.ncsu.edu/human_resources/job_applicants/reasons/community/ for more information.