This is a 12 month permanent position in the NC State Counseling Center. We promote the success of the whole student. In collaboration with our colleagues across campus, we prepare students to succeed academically, professionally and personally, to embrace a commitment to lifelong learning, and to become informed, engaged, and productive citizens.
The Counseling Center (CC) assists NC State students experiencing personal, academic or vocational problems. The goal of the Counseling Center is to provide students with professional counseling services and outreach to help them cope with issues that may impede successful academic performance. The Counseling Center also offers crisis intervention and psychological/psychiatric assessment as well as consultation with others who have concerns about the mental/emotional state of NC State students. Our services are primarily short-term in nature and we make referrals to other helping professionals and community agencies as appropriate. With a lens of social justice that prioritizes anti-racism and anti-oppression, members of the counseling center commit to:
- A nurturing, supportive Community
- A commitment to cultural humility
- Holding ourselves and each other accountable
- Embracing compassion in all situations
- Using evidenced-based quality of care
Essential Job Duties:
- As part of a case management team, collaborate with NC State Counseling Center staff, community providers and other campus constituencies in the planning, implementation, and coordination of care of NC State CC clients.
- Assist students with mental health services coordination and needs, including, but not limited to, referral to community resources and facilitate access to care. This includes coordination and facilitation of hospitalizations and mental health treatment through and post discharge.
- Follow up to ensure that clients are appropriately assessed, successfully referred, and compliant with treatment recommendations.
- Provide clinical bridging services for clients until linked with appropriate services
- Collaborate with and serve as a consultant for campus CARES team as needed
- Initiate and maintain ongoing liaison relationships with community health providers, services, hospitals, and other resources.
- Monitor reports from on-call service and campus partners, update client files, and notify Counseling Center providers when relevant.
- Maintain and update the NC State Referral Database.
- Follow-up with students who made contact with the Counseling Center but have not been seen by a provider.
- Complete documentation in a timely manner
- Collect case management data and complete reports as requested
- Provide day time and on-call after hours crisis services.
- Provide emergency/crisis care in the form of triage services.
- Collaborate and consult with key stakeholders on- and off-campus to develop and maintain comprehensive and multidisciplinary mental health care for students.
- Consult with faculty, staff, students, family members and student guardians.
- Requires some evening and weekend work.
- Provide outreach, consultation and emergency/crisis services.
- Conduct routine triage appointments for access to services.
- Conduct brief therapeutic interventions, individual and group counseling
- Develop support systems to meet client needs by identifying and coordinating a variety of available services. Prepare written clinical and other reports as required.
- Interpret and explain laws, regulations and services to clients.
- Develop and maintain a clinical case-management system to monitor high-risk students.
- Provide supportive counseling and advocacy for clients.
- Coordinate services and required information with the Office of Student Conduct.
- Determine quality and effectiveness of services provided and if necessary, develop and implement new processes and procedures.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, employees of other office and departments in the university and community, using principles of good customer service.
- Participation in continuing education focusing on ethical requirements for clinical practice and cultural competence
- Participation in committee work as well as treatment teams when appropriate
- This position is expected to participate in the training and/or supervision of graduate students and early career clinicians.
Shared risk assessment responsibilities:
- As part of a Counseling Center in-house team, evaluate potentially high risk, violent, and suicidal students.
- When requested by the University, provide clinical expertise in student cases where there is a concern about actual or potential violence, or serious psychological disturbance.
- Serve as a consultant to Counseling and other University faculty, staff, and administrators who express concerns about cases involving potential or actual threats of violence, or serious psychological disturbance
ABOUT NC STATE UNIVERSITY COUNSELING CENTER
As a land-grant institution, NC State itself was born as an idea: that higher education should bring economic, societal and intellectual prosperity to the masses. From our origins teaching the agricultural and mechanical arts, we’ve grown to become a pre-eminent research enterprise that advances knowledge in science, technology, engineering, math, design, the humanities and social sciences, textiles and veterinary medicine.
Our students, faculty and staff take problems in hand and work with industry, government and nonprofit partners to solve them. Our 34,000-plus high-performing students apply what they learn in the real world, through research, internships, co-ops and world-changing service. That experiential education ensures they leave here with career-ready skills. And those skills come at a reasonable cost: NC State consistently rates as one of the best values in higher education.
Raleigh, NC is one of the fastest-rising cities in America. Rated the best city for business and careers by Forbes magazine, Raleigh is a top spot for young professionals and families, with a downtown that offers vibrant food and music scenes. The area’s foremost companies — including IBM, Cisco Systems, SAS Institute and Lenovo — are some of the country’s top employers. See http://www.ncsu.edu/human_resources/job_applicants/reasons/community/ for more information.