Iowa State University,

Student Counseling Services
Receive a list of new jobs daily:
Last Posted:

Mon, Nov 28th, '22


For best consideration, please apply by January 6th. Position will remain open until filled.

Start Date:

Negotiable, but by Fall 2023 at the latest.

Last Updated:

Mon, Feb 6th, '23

  • |
  • Full Time

Iowa State University’s Student Counseling Services (SCS) seeks Psychologist candidates to provide direct client care to a dynamic and diverse student population. The Psychologist provides psychological services to assist students in attaining their educational, academic, and personal wellness goals. These services include individual counseling; group counseling; crisis intervention; case management; and psycho-educational and outreach programming to students, staff, faculty, administrators, and parents/families. Candidates will also be expected to work closely with the varying level of student trainees in the counseling center. 

This position qualifies for full benefits starting on day one of employment. Iowa State University and Student Counseling Services strives to provide a supportive work environment as well as work-life balance, which includes some flexibility in scheduling, being closed on all major holidays, and generous sick and vacation leave. 


The successful candidate will be innovative and creative; function as a team player; and be able to assess, manage, and ensure high quality mental health counseling.

If the person is not license eligible yet they will need to be licensed within 18 months of start date. If the person is licensed, they will need to be licensed in Iowa within six months of start date.


This position serves at the pleasure of university administration and is exempt from certain P&S policies.


Student Counseling Services at Iowa State University, is collaboratively situated within a larger health and wellness unit and receives strong support from administration.  Also, Ames Iowa offers a great campus environment and consistently ranks among the top college towns nationally. 


Doctorate Degree from an American Psychological Association (APA) or Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) accredited program or certified equivalent in counseling or clinical psychology and 1 year of related experience, which may include a doctoral internship.


Experience providing clinical counseling services in a University setting, or with a young adult population
Experience with risk management crisis intervention
Experience working with a diverse client population