KU Medical Center strives to embrace diversity in all its forms; working to build an inclusive community that fosters an open, enlightened, and productive environment. The Psychologist position serves students and residents through the provision of individual, couples, and group psychological counseling, outreach presentations, consultation, supervision of a postdoctoral fellow and doctoral practicum students, psychological assessments, and crisis response. In addition, the Psychologist supports the department’s and Office of Academic and Student Affairs’ strategic initiatives to help culturally diverse students and residents succeed. In discharging these duties, the Psychologist is expected to be keenly sensitive to issues of gender, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disabilities, socio-economic status, etc. and to be skilled with techniques for counseling students and residents with diverse backgrounds. The position engages with a multidisciplinary team that consists of psychologists, learning specialists, writing specialist, psychiatrist, and health professionals to facilitate successful treatment outcomes. The position contributes to the University’s and department's strategic plan.
Job Duties Outlined:
- Provide individual, couple, and group counseling
- Provide supervision, consultation, and outreach presentations
- Contribute to the department’s strategic initiatives to provide services and programs to a diverse student and resident population
- Conduct psychological assessment (via surveys and interviews)
- Participate in daytime, crisis response services
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned by the Director
ABOUT UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS MEDICAL CENTER
The University of Kansas Medical Center's mission is to improve lives and communities in Kansas and beyond through innovation in education, research, and health care. We believe that diversity and inclusion are integral values that guide the way we envision our future. KU Medical Center strives to educate exceptional health care professionals through a full range of undergraduate, graduate, professional, postdoctoral, and continuing education programs. We operate three schools:
- School of Medicine, with campuses in Kansas City, Wichita and Salina
- School of Nursing
- School of Health Professions
For student enrollment numbers, please see KU Medical Center Fast Facts.
KU Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.
Counseling and Educational Support Services
We provide support to 3,200 students, medical residents, and medical fellows as they pursue their professional goals. Our approach to excellence in service is proactive, collaborative, confidential, and respectful.
All psychological and educational services are provided at no cost to students, residents, and fellows. Our staff consists of three learning specialists, five doctoral-level psychologists, two postdoctoral psychology fellows, a consulting physician (psychiatric prescriber), and a writing specialist.
- Psychological Services: Our psychologists help address students' emotional and interpersonal issues, including managing stress, relationships, and transitions.
- Psychiatric Services: For clients with medication needs, our psychiatric prescriber provides evaluations and medication-management consultations.
- Educational Support Services: Our learning specialists help students with study and test-taking strategies, time management, and more.
- Writing Services: Our writing specialist helps students improve their writing skills by brainstorming, organizing thoughts, revision, and lots of dialogue.
In addition to traditional counseling services, we provide Koru mindfulness programming, telehealth, couples therapy, 100+ outreach presentations annually, and teach wellness courses within the health science academic curriculum. Abundant training opportunities are available for new staff.
More information about KUMC Counseling and Educational Support Services may be found at our website.
Kansas City is an amazing place to live and work. Check out the Everything you need to know about Kansas City, details about Kansas City, KS, and all the things you can do in KC. One of the Jazz's birthplaces and showcasing the best BBQ in the world -- if you don't know Kansas City, you'll be surprised by our vibrant community.
The University of Kansas Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, age, protected veteran or disability status, marital status, parental status, or genetic information.