Penn State Harrisburg, a comprehensive College of The Pennsylvania State University, is excited to welcome applications and nominations for the 12-month position of Staff Counselor with International Student Focus at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS).
Reporting to the Director of Counseling and Disability Resources, the Staff Counselor provides mental health support services to students with focus on International Students and serves as the primary CAPS liaison to the International Student Office at Penn State Harrisburg. CAPS supports students through high-quality and accessible responsive care and prevention. We promote students’ diverse well-being through psychological, outreach, case management, and consultation services. We provide training to emerging mental health professionals and supervision to those seeking licensure. We are committed to excellence in psychological services by promoting student safety and culturally honoring emotional growth and academic success.
The successful candidate will have high cultural competency in clinical, outreach, and training experience serving diverse populations, with professional focus on the needs of international students. The Staff Counselor will provide psychological programs and mental health services to Penn State Harrisburg students. This position also participates in supervising graduate-level trainees and training student peer educators. The Staff Counselor will serve as the CAPS liaison to the International Student Office. CAPS, a unit of Student Affairs, is committed to the holistic growth of our students. Inclusion, diversity, and equity are the cornerstones of the mission and goals of Penn State Harrisburg Student Affairs.
Provide brief individual, couples and group counseling, assessment, crisis intervention and case management services for undergraduate and graduate students seeking help for emotional and behavioral concerns; primarily focused on supporting International Students.
· Assist with weekly drop-in hours for international students.
· Assist with services for BIPOC, AAPI, Latinx and/or LGBTQIA+ student populations.
· Partner with supervisor and other campus staff to coordinate urgent mental health crisis services.
· Consult with campus community on issues of care and concern.
· Create and participate in outreach programming to underrepresented student groups.
· Participate in CAPS graduate training program activities such as providing trainee seminars and contributing during the trainee selection process.
· Assist in peer educator programs and activities (Global Ambassadors and Mental Health/Wellness Ambassadors).
· Actively participate in professional associations and training sessions.
· Maintain current, accurate and timely clinical documentation in accordance with state and federal law, professional ethics, as well as CAPS policies and the International Student Office policies.
· Participate in CAPS and university committees as assigned.
· Participate in weekly clinical supervision and clinical case consultation at CAPS.
ABOUT PENN STATE HARRISBURG
Penn State Harrisburg is located in Middletown, near the city of Harrisburg, the state capital of Pennsylvania. The college is easily accessible via interstate and rail routes from Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and New York, and Harrisburg International Airport is located within minutes from campus. The college is the largest and most comprehensive of Penn State’s Commonwealth Campuses. An undergraduate college and graduate school, Penn State Harrisburg offers more than 75 associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs and is the only campus, along with University Park, to offer programs from the associate to doctoral levels. The college also offers the first two years of study leading to more than 160 baccalaureate majors offered throughout Penn State. At the transfer level, Penn State Harrisburg serves students from all Penn State campuses and from community colleges and other accredited colleges and universities. The college enrolls 5,000 students in residence. Reputation is Penn State Harrisburg’s hallmark – nationally accredited programs, award-winning faculty, and the resources of a world-class research university. We are Penn State in the Capital Region.
The college’s academic units are divided into five schools: Behavioral Sciences and Education; Business Administration; Humanities; Public Affairs; and Science, Engineering, and Technology. The college employs approximately 500 full-time faculty and staff, and roughly 500 part-time employees to carry out its mission to be a premier college of The Pennsylvania State University. To learn more about the college please visit http://harrisburg.psu.edu