Mission, Values & Objectives
We promote the success of the whole student. In collaboration with our colleagues across campus, we prepare students to succeed academically, professionally and personally, to embrace a commitment to lifelong learning, and to become informed, engaged, and productive citizens.
The Counseling Center assists NC State students experiencing personal, academic or vocational problems. The goal of the Counseling Center is to provide students with professional counseling services and outreach to help them cope with issues that may impede successful academic performance. The Counseling Center also offers crisis intervention and psychological/psychiatric assessment, as well as consultation with others who have concerns about the mental/emotional state of NC State students. Our services are primarily short-term in nature and we make referrals to other helping professionals and community agencies as appropriate. Members of the counseling center commit to:
- A nurturing, supportive Community
- Striving to live into our professional ethics of honoring diversity and embracing a multicultural approach in support of the worth, dignity, potential, and uniqueness of people within their social and cultural contexts.
- Holding ourselves and each other accountable
- Embracing compassion in all situations
- Using evidenced-based quality of care
The North Carolina State University Counseling Center is seeking embedded clinicians for a position focused on working with students who are enrolled in scholarship programs (Park, Goodnight, Caldwell
). The clinician hired for this position will provide individual counseling, group counseling, drop in spaces, and outreach services as well as consultation to
University administrators, staff and others who have concerns about the
mental/emotional status of NC State students. Ideal candidates will be well versed in counseling students with stressors related to rigorous academic programs, anxiety, perfectionistic traits, and balancing school with other aspects of collegiate life.
This position will assist in all areas of Counseling Center functioning including:
- Provide individual and group counseling of NC State students/clients (personal, academic, and vocational assessment and counseling); psychological assessment; developmental and crisis counseling; couples counseling; evaluation of students for withdrawal from the University
- Develop and participate in outreach programming, hold lets talk drop in spaces
- Consult with faculty staff, parents, and others
- Provide evaluations and recommendations regarding students with academic and conduct problems
- Participate in after hours “on call” and possible evening office hours
- General administrative responsibilities
This position may involve participation in supervision/training of graduate students and program evaluation; all other duties as assigned.
ABOUT NC STATE UNIVERSITY COUNSELING CENTER
As a land-grant institution, NC State itself was born as an idea: that higher education should bring economic, societal and intellectual prosperity to the masses. From our origins teaching the agricultural and mechanical arts, we’ve grown to become a pre-eminent research enterprise that advances knowledge in science, technology, engineering, math, design, the humanities and social sciences, textiles and veterinary medicine.
Our students, faculty and staff take problems in hand and work with industry, government and nonprofit partners to solve them. Our 34,000-plus high-performing students apply what they learn in the real world, through research, internships, co-ops and world-changing service. That experiential education ensures they leave here with career-ready skills. And those skills come at a reasonable cost: NC State consistently rates as one of the best values in higher education.
Raleigh, NC is one of the fastest-rising cities in America. Rated the best city for business and careers by Forbes magazine, Raleigh is a top spot for young professionals and families, with a downtown that offers vibrant food and music scenes. The area’s foremost companies — including IBM, Cisco Systems, SAS Institute and Lenovo — are some of the country’s top employers. See http://www.ncsu.edu/human_resources/job_applicants/reasons/community/ for more information.