This Drexel University Counseling Center position is embedded in the Department of Athletics to provide support and outreach to our intercollegiate student-athletes. This position would primarily provide direct culturally informed psychological services to our student athletes.
Duties of the therapist in this position include provision of direct clinical and sports psychology services to student athletes, including goal-focused individual therapy, crisis intervention, group therapy and workshops, as well as outreach programming and consultation. This clinician will provide leadership, oversight and clinical expertise that enhances student athlete success on and off the field of competition.
We are seeking a clinician who, in addition to having strong clinical skills, will provide an innovative vision and administrative leadership in supporting the mental health needs of student-athletes. This is a year-round, full-time position embedded in the Department of Athletics. This position would serve as a liaison between the Department of Athletics and the Drexel University Counseling Center, and would participate in Counseling Center meetings.
- Maintains regular office hours for clinical appointments and initial consultations designed for intercollegiate student-athlete population.
- Serves as initial point of referral for mental health services for student-athletes and as a liaison to the Counseling Center. Provides culturally informed direct clinical services such as individual, group, crisis intervention and drop ins.
- Develops and/or modifies treatment/performance plans and counsels individual athletes, charts progress, and provides follow-up care as required.
- Consults with co-treating providers (i.e., psychiatric, medical, nutrition), for an integrated service, as appropriate.
- Partner with Administrators, Coaches, and support areas to assist in creating an environment that prioritizes student athlete well-being.
- Conducts student athlete group workshops, such as, post-injury, rehabilitation and mindfulness.
- Collaborates in Counseling Center efforts to provide services in new and creative ways.
- Attends Counseling Center staff meetings as required.
- Adheres to NCAA and/or agency standards regarding case management, documentation, and parameters of service, including occasional availability for emergency response or outreach during non-traditional hours of operation.
Mental Performance Enhancement Consultation and Services:
- Consults Sports performance team, administration, coaching staffs, and student athletes regarding sports performance needs and initiatives.
- Ongoing active engagement as a member of Athletics sports performance team.
- Provides psychoeducation and training to student athletes and Athletics staff regarding athlete mental health.
- Periodically attends sports practices and home events.
- Minimum of a PhD or Doctoral degree in Clinical or Counseling Psychology.
- Minimum of 2 years professional counseling experience (this may include graduate and post-graduate experience).
- Must have completed an APA-accredited internship.
- Licensed/eligible for PA License.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Experience providing group therapy and contributing to a multi-disciplinary clinical team.
- Experience/specialized training in sports psychology (e.g. extensive training, practicum, specialization track, etc.)
- Demonstrated commitment to working with collegiate student-athletes and in consulting with sports medicine professionals, coaches and other athletics staff.
University City, Philadelphia PA
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of M. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Please review the Benefits Brochure for some information on our benefits offerings.
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.