Within one of the nation’s most transformative universities, SJSU’s Student Wellness Center (SWC) fosters student opportunity in a revolutionary way by preparing students to maintain lifelong health and well-being. The Director of Counseling and Psychological Services for the Student Wellness Center leads the design, delivery, and quality enhancement of mental health services and crisis support to achieve this vision campus-wide. SJSU’s 37,000 diverse students include undergraduate, graduate, and continuing-education students in online and in-person programs. Under the direction of the Executive Director of the Student Wellness Center, this position provides administrative, operational leadership, direction of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), and supports the overall mission, vision, and operation of the Student Wellness Center. Within a modern health, counseling, and wellness facility, Counseling and Psychological Services provides a range of therapeutic interventions, including brief individual and couples counseling, group therapy, crisis support, and outreach services to SJSU’s student population. The Director of CAPS leads and develops the performance of a growing team of 26 union employees, with 7 direct reports, to deliver these services. Counseling and Psychological Services is accredited by the International Accreditation of Counseling Services, supports the provision of Survivor Advocacy services, and hosts American Psychological Association-accredited training programs for new psychologists.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Planning, administration, management, and evaluation of the Counseling and Psychological Services team, services, and operations
- Strengthening integration of care across all disciplines in the Student Wellness Center and participating as a key member of the SWC leadership team
- Oversight of the coordination, consultation, and guidance for crisis/liaison services, including intervention and post-intervention services for emergencies and highly acute critical incidents
- Assisting with the development of policies and procedures in adherence to accreditation standards, CSU system-wide policies, and local, state, and federal regulations and licensing requirements
- Collaborating with various departments, providing communications, and promoting interactions that support a campus climate that is welcoming and inclusive of our diverse student and employee population