The Counselor will provide professional individual and group
counseling services and outreach to NC State students as well as consultation
to University administrators, staff and others who have concerns about the
mental/emotional status of NC State students. Position will assist in all areas
of Counseling Center functions including:
- Individual and group counseling
- Psychological assessment
- Developmental and crisis counseling
- Couples counseling
- Evaluation of students for withdrawal from the University
- Development and participation in outreach programming
- Consultation with faculty, staff, parents, and others
- Providing evaluations and recommendations regarding students
with academic and conduct problems
- Some participation in after-hours “on call” and possible
evening office hours
- Participation in training and supervision of post masters
fellows, doctoral psychology interns and masters level interns
- *General administrative responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned.
The Counseling Center assists NC State University students
experiencing personal, academic or vocational problems. The goal of the
Counseling Center is to provide students with professional counseling services
and outreach to help them cope with issues that may impede successful academic
performance. The Counseling Center also offers crisis intervention and
psychological/psychiatric assessment as well as consultation with others who
have concerns about the mental/emotional state of NC State students. Our
services are primarily short-term in nature and we make referrals to other
helping professionals and community agencies as appropriate.
With a lens of social justice that prioritizes anti-racism and anti-oppression, members of the counseling center commit to:
- A nurturing, supportive Community
- A commitment to cultural humility
- Holding ourselves and each other accountable
- Embracing compassion in all situations
- Using evidenced-based quality of care
ABOUT NC STATE UNIVERSITY COUNSELING CENTER
As a land-grant institution, NC State itself was born as an idea: that higher education should bring economic, societal and intellectual prosperity to the masses. From our origins teaching the agricultural and mechanical arts, we’ve grown to become a pre-eminent research enterprise that advances knowledge in science, technology, engineering, math, design, the humanities and social sciences, textiles and veterinary medicine.
Our students, faculty and staff take problems in hand and work with industry, government and nonprofit partners to solve them. Our 34,000-plus high-performing students apply what they learn in the real world, through research, internships, co-ops and world-changing service. That experiential education ensures they leave here with career-ready skills. And those skills come at a reasonable cost: NC State consistently rates as one of the best values in higher education.
Raleigh, NC is one of the fastest-rising cities in America. Rated the best city for business and careers by Forbes magazine, Raleigh is a top spot for young professionals and families, with a downtown that offers vibrant food and music scenes. The area’s foremost companies — including IBM, Cisco Systems, SAS Institute and Lenovo — are some of the country’s top employers. See http://www.ncsu.edu/human_resources/job_applicants/reasons/community/ for more information.